World Investor Week (WIW) is a global campaign promoted by the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) to raise awareness about the importance of investor education and protection. During October 1-7, 2019, individual investors, investment professionals, teachers, parents, researchers, and other interested individuals – as well as firms, regulators, and organizations – are encouraged to make a special effort to promote investor education and, in particular, World Investor Week’s key messages.
The Inter-American Development Bank is one of the WIW supporters. In addition, the LAB, Laboratório de Inovação Financeira, has taken a leading role in organizing a number of events in the WIW being held in Brazil.
As part of World Investor Week, IOSCO securities regulators and supporters across the globe will provide a variety of activities, including launching investor-focused communications and services, promoting investor education initiatives, organizing workshops and conferences, and conducting local/national campaigns in their own jurisdictions.
WIW is a week-long, global campaign, which aims to promote investor education and investor protection, highlighting the various initiatives of securities regulators in these two critical areas. IOSCO members will provide, in their jurisdictions, a wide variety of activities such as launching publications or services, promoting contests and organizing workshops, conferences and other events. Many members leverage the event to organize further investor education activities throughout the year.
In Brazil, the Securities and Exchange Commission (CVM) annually organizes a series of activities and lectures on behavioral studies and financial education in order to improve the actions for protection and assistance of Brazilian investors and to discuss new ways of encouraging savings formation in the country. October 4th, 10th and 11th, events will also include the Regional Seminar on Emerging Trends in Financial Education, organized by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
Among the initiatives presented during the WIW, the Maria Netto, Lead Financial Markets Specialist at the IDB presented the Green Bond Transparency Platform which is currently being developed by the IDB in collaboration with international partners to support harmonization and standardization efforts in the region’s green bond market. The platform, scheduled to be launched by year-end, will contribute to the sector’s transparency and comparability, including providing details on how bond proceeds are used and their environmental impact. The platform’s introduction is expected to attract new investors to the market and provide greater confidence for existing investors.
The opening session of WIW in Brazil will take place in Sao Paulo and includes ringing the bell as part of the IOSCO week.
The Agenda Lab in the WIW in Brazil includes five days of very intense activity organized by different institutions and entities, including the following:
- B3: Ring the bell for Financial Literacy
- LAB and B3: Sustentabilidade e Mercado de Capitais
- ABVCAP, ICE and Aliança pelo Impacto, Mattos Filho (with the support of LAB): Investimento de Impacto – A visão dos Gestores e Investidores
- Standard & Poor’s: ESG: From the Margins to the Mainstream
- Stocche Forbes, BID, CBI, LAB and Resultante: Green Bonds: Estado das emissões, tendências de regulação e novos instrumentos financeiros
- Fialdini Advogados: Impactos de Infra-Estrutura e da Regulamentação de Sandbox nos Mercados Financeiros, de Capitais e de Seguros
- LAB and Mattos Filho: Tecnologias a serviço do investimento de impacto socioambiental
- BMA: Desafios atuais para o desenvolvimento do Mercado de Capitais brasileiro
- Stocche Forbes, Vinci Partners, LAB and Resultante: Riscos financeiros de ASG e mudanças climáticas: o que vem por aí
- Conferencia CVM
The WIW is being held in Brazil, both in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.
This post is also available in: Spanish